The phrase talks about how each unique person can create their own meaning from an image. Even though the image stays the same, interpretations can vary.
- Shared knowledge
- Shared myths
- Shared ideologies- a system of ideas and ideals 1*
All images are full of signs, which can be things from writing, to colours, to the objects in the image. Each sign can have many meanings, which depends on the person viewing it. For example, if two people were to view this sign:
Person 1 may think that it means that there is a hill coming up or that the road is bumpy
Person 2 could think that a speed bump it up ahead
This shows that even though it is the same image, people can interpret it differently.
Here is a deconstruction of an image to help prove how signs can portray meanings.
- Something important and urgent is on the poster
- Grabs your attention
Women with wide eyes open
- She is intrigued by what she is holding
- The women is wide awake and looks like she is full of energy
- The coffee that she is holding must be keeping her energetic
- Has connotations of happiness and joy
- Makes the woman look happy with what she is doing
Coffee mug being held out
- The coffee mug is the centre of attention so it must be important
- The woman must be the way she is because of the coffee
Dark contrasting woman’s hair
- Makes the woman look important and draws the viewers attention to her
Slogan ‘You can sleep when you’re dead!’
- Interpreted as life is too short to be sleeping
- Live life to the full
- If you drink this coffee you wont want to sleep
So after evaluating the image, to me it is selling the experience of coffee, being that if you have it you won’t want to sleep and why would you want to sleep because life is too short. So through symbols within a picture a meaning can be drawn and this is called .
1* Oxford Dictionaries – Dictionary, Thesaurus, & Grammar. 2015. Oxford Dictionaries – Dictionary, Thesaurus, & Grammar. [ONLINE] Available at: http://www.oxforddictionaries.com. [Accessed 19 March 2015].
2* Safety Signs Australia – Home . 2015. Safety Signs Australia – Home. [ONLINE] Available at: http://www.safetysignsaustralia.com. [Accessed 19 March 2015].
3* MemePix. 2015. MemePix. [ONLINE] Available at: http://cdn.memepix.com. [Accessed 19 March 2015].